BY THE GEORGIA DOE
Greensboro, Ga. (February 2, 2016) - Lake Oconee Academy (LOA) has received approval to participate in the International Skills Diploma Seal (ISDS) program from the Georgia Department of Education. The ISDS is awarded to graduating high school students who complete an international education curriculum and engage in extracurricular activities and experiences that foster the achievement of global competencies.
The requirements for the International Skills Diploma Seal are:
1) At least three credits in the same world language and/or ESOL International Focus
2) At least four credits in courses determined to have an international focus, such as international economics, world/non-US history, world geography, etc.
3) At least four extracurricular activities and experiences with global themes and/or in global contexts (e.g., exchange programs, international and language clubs, travel abroad)
4) Twenty hours of community service involving a global/cross-cultural public service project
5) Capstone presentation on the knowledge gained in the courses and activities listed above
"We are very excited to continue to build a program with an international focus for the students of LOA," said Christina Cronic, Spanish teacher and coordinator of the ISDS program at LOA. "Our first class of seniors will graduate in 2018 and, by meeting the LOA graduation requirements which already include three credits of a world language, we anticipate all students will be eligible for this seal. The additional academic and service requirements build on the LOA vision of 'preparing students for the global society in which we live, work and play.' We applaud the Georgia Department of Education for putting global skills and awareness on the forefront of education."
LOA is also in the final stages of applying to become an International Spanish Academy (ISA) through the Ministry of Education of Spain. Students in the ISA would take at least 25% of their high school courses with Spanish as the language of instruction, with the objective to obtain written and oral proficiency in both languages.
For immediate release
Contact: Kerry Minster